Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Peacock Table

So a while back I saw this table in blog land and I just couldn't stop thinking about it. As soon as I saw it I wanted to do it. I've used a paisley fabric in just about every room in my house and so I was thinking I would go that direction. I pinned the table straight from this fabulous blog that I follow late one night only to wake up the next morning and find out that a TON of people on Pinterest apparently felt the same way I did. Which is fine, I mean I'm planning on copying it too right? The only thing is, I don't like having things exactly like everyone else. I want it to be slightly different and be totally me. Narcissistic? Maybe, but I have to love it and it has to go with the look I've poured blood sweat and tears into in my home.
Anyhow, a table fell into my lap via my husbands aunt. Free table - SCORE! Now to find a stencil that was me and hopefully just as cool as the paisley one. When this little empty sewing cabinet came along it was instantly going to be the peacock table. I had scoured websites and local shops looking for a peacock feather stencil I liked and that was the right size...it took a while! Everything finally came together though and I love the results. It fits in exactly how I wanted it to!


Like everything I've worked on recently, it needed some repair.


And some stripping...


And some careful sanding.


Then came the stenciling, which I discovered I'm bad at...


The staining which was awesome but took AGES to dry for some reason. Maybe because it's been humid lately, I don't know. I do know that can happen if your stain is too old - but mine was not.


In place but waiting for the poly to dry...I hate waiting!!!


All complete :) Now if only I had flowers for that antique little silver vase everything would be perfect!


2 comments:

  1. I think your table turned out great! I, too, linked a stenciled table to FFF (it was my first link and attempt at stenciling a table). Let's just say I kept the paint handy to paint over my less-than-perfect stencils! I am also working on a sewing table that has long since had the machine removed and it's been used as a catch-all. It's very similar to yours. If you're happy with it, that's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks lovely! Great job you did!

    ReplyDelete