Thursday, October 20, 2011

Master Bedroom Lamps

After 'The Flood' this summer we had a lot of damage, and not just water damage. The workers did some damage while trying to help us out. They moved lamps while holding box cutters and sliced the shades, they ripped a bedskirt apart while moving the bed to pull up the ruined wood floor...I could go on but I won't. So here I was with all of this stuff to replace or fix. The bedskirt was pretty trashed so I just wrote it off completely. We were allotted money from insurance for the bedding and since there were box cutter slices and boot prints on the bedding as well I thought I better get to looking for something to replace it with. Well, life gets in the way of that sometimes. School supplies were bought, school clothes were bought, other projects needed to be finished and so on. Here we are almost 3 full months after the flood and we still had plain bedding and some cheap white lampshades that I bought at Target. So I went out and bought some gray cotton fabric and starting the crafting! These were the plain lampshades

These were the strips of fabric after they were hemmed and a thread was run for the hand ruffling. My mother's sewing machine has a ruffling attachment but it has never worked, so I sat and ruffled at night after the kids were in bed. I ruffled and NOT attempt this if you don't have a functioning ruffling attachment, it is torture!!!

Then came the gluing. I have a love/hate relationship with the hot glue gun. I love it because it is so wonderful for all of my crafts, but I burn myself pretty bad at least once every single time I use the silly thing!!!

This is what I ended up with:

Not too bad ;) I love them and it's just what I wanted. I can't wait to get the new bedding as well. On the day I had everything in place to take pictures for the blog, the old bedding officially bit the dust and I had to improvise with what I had on hand. One project down...about a million left to go!

1 comment: