Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A Table Makeover

Here's the thing, I've wanted a coffee table for just about EVER, but I always put it off because it wasn't a necessity. Also, everything I liked cost a fortune, at least to me. I loved things from Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware and the cheaper versions...well they looked cheap! Cheap is NOT where I wanted to go. So I toyed around and looked online and one fine day ran across Ana White. OH. MY. WORD! The woman is pure genius  and I adore her beyond words. I started thinking to myself, "You can absolutely do this! You can build this coffee table no sweat!" 
I had plans and I was ready to go. Then my wonderful, amazing father came to me and said he was needing to clean out a shed and he knew that I wanted my Granny's old dining table. I had a dining table, and a very small house. I sure didn't know what I was going to do with another one. So I started making plans to sell my current table and put my cherished family table in it's place. On the day my father and I put the new table into place, we shoved the old table into the living room. It hit me like a 2x4 in the head. I had a perfectly good maple table, with a nice apron on it, why not just cut it down to size and buy some legs for it? Ding ding ding, we have a winner! So out with the old and in with the new, or rather in with the old and in with the made over...if that makes sense. 

This is the old table. It was maple butcher block and when we remodeled our kitchen a few years back my father sprayed it black for me. It was all fancy for Christmas in this picture, and shockingly this is the best picture I found of the table. It's been featured in many posts because I used it as a painting surface.



This is the cut down, reassembled, sanded, and painted version from the bottom. Notice that I am lazy and since no one would see the bottom I didn't paint the underside. This is when I was attaching the newly purchased (and at a VERY reasonable cost) legs.



I flipped it over and painted the final coats onto the top.


 In it's new home and I couldn't be happier...well, that's not true. This isn't the top that will stay on it forever. I still have some plans for this one, but they will have to wait until I am less busy for now. Something to look forward to!




When I finally have the time to add the new top I will have another post just to show how beautiful the end result will truly be!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE THIS!!! Also Love Anna White. Her outdoor sitting space is actually what I would like to do for my banquette in my kitchen but no tools or time :)

    ReplyDelete