I found this piece in a shop and snatched it up with the idea for what I wanted already in my head. I am currently working on probably the hardest project I've ever done right now, so I figured I would have to wait to work on this piece for my son. However, waiting for glue to dry drives me crazy and so while one project was glued, clamped, and drying I decided to start the "easy" project on the side...no problem, I can finish it quickly...
Famous last words.
This is the chest the day I bought it and lugged it home
I've wanted to stripe a piece for a long time and this seemed to be the perfect candidate. The top was in rough shape and I was seeing the piece with a stained top so I knew I was going to be making a new top for it...red oak
My son has loved airplanes since birth and the love seems to just grow every year. When he asked me to "Make his room nice like Jade's" I asked what he wanted. It seems to be the universal boy colors: reds, blues, chocolate, and creamy whites. I picked out a few fabrics and then we chose some paints. This is the blue we chose for a few accents so it seemed the best option to me for the stripes.
I got to work quickly one saturday and soon discovered it was going to entail a whole lot more than just painting it and making the new top.
So I spent 6 hours rebuilding the drawers and making new bottoms for them. Then I painted it Old White, taped it off, striped it, and waited. I had to wait to find the time to even go and build the top. So far the summer has not been what I would call relaxing. So it sat painted in my entryway for 2 weeks.
This is the red oak top cut from a 1"x8"x10' and put together with glue and biscuits.
Above is after the edge was routed and below is after the stain was applied
This is what I ended up with...yes, I jumped up and down and squealed like a 7 year old girl. I LOVE this piece. It might be my favorite!!!