Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Stockings Were Hung By the...

...front door
On vintage door knobs attached to an antique door pediment, with care.
It just doesn't have the same ring to it as the original, but we have a house sans fireplace so we all do what we must!
I had to make stockings to match my tree skirt. I'm funny like that. I like symmetry, matching, and pretty much all other things that OCD people do. I started these stockings last Christmas and due to work load and general busyness I only completed one at that time. That seems to have been the norm around here for personal projects - at least until lately!
This is what I started with


This is the stocking pattern my mother used for our family stockings back in 1983 I think. It's an awesome pattern but I struggled with it a lot. There are about three things this pattern tells you to do that seem almost unnatural...I think I told my husband that the pattern was smarter than me and required some sort of advanced geometry degree we both know I could never obtain. My frequent phrase while sewing these at my mothers house was, "Mama, I need help again!" She's so sweet and patient :)




I was really proud of cutting them out because burlap can be a little tricky, but they were great.



I had to modify the cuffs because they were just plain and I had other ideas.




This was my daughter's and by far the most time consuming cuff to make.


Brandon's



My own



Dylan's


And finally Jade's
The stockings make me happy. It really is the little things that matter most sometimes.


All hung with care, by the front door on vintage door knobs attached to an antique door pediment, with care.

Happy Christmas to you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment