Monday, December 10, 2012

The Antlers

My husband is a hunter. I'm more of a fancy girl. I like things that sparkle and while I don't decorate my house with Art Deco all over the place, I am drawn to that era of lushness. My husband would throw a hideous 1982 lounge chair in the living room and live with stained carpet forever simply because they are comfortable. I don't blame him really, I love comfort just as much as the next person. But, why do comfort and beauty have to be separate? I've tried really hard to incorporate things into our home that my husband loves so that he feels comfortable and at home when he's here.
I say all of this to just point out that I would not normally be the type of person to decorate with antlers regardless of their current popularity. For me the fad of rustic chic is just a happy coincidence.
We now have antlers in several places...

On top of my Entertainment Console - a shed

Above my Magnetic Board - a plaque

Even above my head where I type out my blog - yes a whole mount

You know what? I kinda love them. At first I wanted nothing to do with this style and I fought to have the deer head mounted in the garage...I lost that battle. It's in the master bedroom because our house is open concept and I didn't want it staring at my guests in the living room. I just pretend he's not there for the most part. 
I feel like he's glaring down at me now for daring to ignore him...oh well!

If you are squeamish in any way - please look away from the next picture. I am including this picture because this is my life, what I live with from the end of October every year until the beginning of January. I tripped over this in the dark garage and found it wrong on so many levels. I took a picture with my phone and sent it to a friend to complain. Friends just laugh at you. Maybe they would feel differently if they tripped over a severed deer head wrapped in a Walmart bag in their own dark garage.


So I had my husband cut off the antlers and wash them so I could get crafty with them.
I was thinking chrome and gold, so that's just what I did.


Gold


Chrome


My husband even bought me white hydrangea for my vase this morning. He's totally worth tripping over a deer head for ;)


All grossness aside I think they all turned out pretty beautiful. So I'm the fancy girl that decorates with antlers...and loves it. Who knew?







No comments:

Post a Comment