Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Tis Christmas

In light of all the crazy things happening in the world right now, I'm trying to keep my children smiling and keep them from worrying. It's my job as their mother to let them know they are safe. I don't think they should fear living their lives. I keep reminding them that it is Christmas! We celebrate Christ's birth and the wonderful blessing that Him living gives to us: that GIFT
We celebrate the spirit of giving.
I love that my daughter drew this picture for a little girl she doesn't know well, but loves!


I love how easily children love. They love simply because they are alive. It's so so easy for them. They are so unspoiled, so whole.
I love that my children are wanting to give. Oh, they're not little saints...they want gifts too. They are kids after all. 
You know what, that's fine. They are living, they are learning. One day they will understand how much more fun it is to give than receive. 
I want them to know how to receive gratefully - to understand that the real gift is that the person giving it found them worthy of a gift. That is the part I want them to hold to. The people in this world that love them.
I received a gift this morning from a friend and it made me smile. The gift is great, I love bracelets and Home Depot so I adore the gift. But, what I love the most was written in the 'message' space on the gift card, "To the lady in pearls while painting! We love you!"


Those words say it all to me. They KNOW me and love me and were thoughtful enough to give me something meaningful. The card will be used and the bracelet will be worn. Every time I look at the bracelet I will think of my Trey baby running around saying "Lala, I love you" and the gift card holder with those sweet words will be tucked away in a box with my other precious memories. 
One day, later in life I'll probably be going through those boxes with my daughter as I've done with my own mother, and she will ask me why I kept it all these years...I hope I will have taught her enough that she will know that it was because I love the people who gave it to me and was humbled by being worthy enough to receive.
So this Christmas I want my children to feel joy. Things have been so bleak since Friday and I honestly can't even think of it without tearing up, but I'm trying to center myself and find the joy in celebrating the season. He has given me so much to be thankful for all under my tiny little roof. Those little ones need to celebrate Him and feel the joy of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment