Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Dining Chairs

My dining chairs were not an easy project for me. I had seen individual chairs for sale in antique shops all over the place...until I actually started looking for them. I knew I wanted all four of my chairs to be different. I thought I wanted all four of my chairs to even be different colors only linked together by upholstery fabric as well. So, my chairs have been difficult for me. I even lost one before picture. That's what happens when your chair search turns into a 6 month project. 

The Chairs Before

This chair I found quickly, so naturally I thought I would find them all that fast. I loved this chair and claimed it as the one that would be mine at the table. It's still my favorite one.

These two fell into my lap almost 2 months later. Problem was I only wanted one of them and the shop wouldn't split them. So I talked down the price to what I would have willingly paid for one chair and it worked. Now, one of these now resides in my mother's master bedroom.

This was the next one I found and the only one that I can't find the true before picture of. This was raw pine with a rattan seat. So I had to make a board that I could add foam and upholstery to in order for this one to work. This is how I painted it originally. Sorry about the yellow-ness of the picture, we went through a phase where the hubs wanted to use curly bulbs...everything in our house looked sick for a while.

This is the last one I found. It's is also the one that my daughter Jade claimed. I found this one almost exactly six months after I found the first one.

I will have you know that I have since found individual chairs all over the stinking place. I guess our town was just going through a dry spell in the single chair department when I was searching.

You can see how they looked after their first paint and upholstery jobs here. It just wasn't to my liking and the upholstery was a stupid idea. Even with it being outdoor fabric and scotch-gaurding them they were trashed within a few weeks. 
This is why

Children children everywhere! For those of you that don't have kids you should know; kids are gross! I love and adore them but they put their shoes on upholstery, touch things with dirty hands, wipe their noses on your couch, and ram sharp toys into wood furniture. This is why I love the distressed look - it camouflages what all the wee ones have actually done to the furniture. Also, baby wipes clean microfiber like a dream ;)

Then I found this one day


MmmmHmmm, in all its yummy vinyl durability! To me the multi-colored chairs didn't make sense without the upholstery fabric tying them all together. So, I got busy painting and upholstering some more.




I'm well pleased with these now! I love how easy the vinyl is to take care of. I love how just about everybody that sees them, touches the seats. They make me happy and it's one more project down for my own home.






No comments:

Post a Comment