My friend Monica was cleaning out her barn and had a couple of old TV cabinets. She let me pick one and gave it to me just to get it out of her space. It was in rough shape. The old television had already been removed but I was needing something specific.
Here is what I started with:
Yes, that is nasty green felt on the interior. one of the problems I had with the piece was that it was too deep for the space I needed to put it. So I measured to the depth I needed and made the cuts!
The next problem was the holes in the base for the original electrical and lack of a back after cutting it down. Plywood was cut and inserted, a shelf was made, the legs were reattached, and a new back was made. Then came time to strip and stain the top. There was a lot of water damage and the finish was a tad orange for my taste.
I wanted an extremely smooth top so I did some wet sanding with a nice slurry and the top is like glass now. You would never know that it was ever damaged! I'm so glad that worked out like I had planned, things rarely work out that easily when you're refinishing!
I painted the interior and exterior to match my decor.
I distressed the creamy white paint and waxed the piece before putting it into place. I'm so please with this. It has made storing all the DVD's and other media books look so much better!
Now I just need to get that last wall painted and the living room will be so much brighter and nicer.