Thursday, September 18, 2014

Happenings


This should be a post about the finished breakfast nook, or Dylan’s painted cottage floors being finished, or another of the many things that I have posted sneak peeks of on my facebook page and Instagram. Instead though, it’s going to be a little random. I'm going to throw in a few pictures of all of those things so you can see some progress. You see I have a lot going on right now. I know everyone does, but this is the most I have ever done at one time. It’s a tad overwhelming and I’m starting to understand just exactly how different it is to be a single mom and try doing everything and more.

(Dylan's Floors)

(my new shop-vac)

Basically, I can’t. 

(sneak peek at the banquette)

Oh, you can guarantee that I am going to try really hard. I’m just that way.
I usually have Fall décor out and a cute little posts about what project I’m working on for my own home. This year though I have an 8:00-5:00 job, two children to be a full-time mom to, the huge blessing of Peacock Door growing like crazy, the messiest house I’ve ever had (this drives me insane), and absolutely no time at all. Seriously people, I’m lucky if I get a shower…I always do but sometimes it is 3:00 a.m. and I have to be up in three hours to do the whole thing all over again.

(new pendant light I made from a cheap candle lantern)

During this time I wish for multiple “me’s.” My son thought this was an awesome idea. Bless him that he still thinks having multiples of his mother is a good thing! We had a conversation at dinner one night that went like this:
Me: "I think 3 of me would do. One to clean, paint, and maintain the house, one to work outside the home, and one to be mama and run Peacock Door."
Dylan: "Mom! You should so do that! Then it would be easy and we would have you all the time!"
He’s precious and makes me smile.

(I do have to cook sometimes and I love this apron from World Market)

It’s busy. I love busy, but I sent a text to my friend a couple of weeks ago and I thought I was having a panic attack. Suddenly, in that one moment everything seemed so huge. Making lists wasn’t helping just then. Not at all! Instead, that normally calming task was making me shake and feel like I couldn’t breathe. My sweet and practical Lisa (we think of each other like sisters) basically made me see that I needed to step back and calm down. Something my mama always said, “You can only do one thing at a time. Get it done and move on to the next one.” It used to frustrate me because it sounded so simplistic, I mean I was making the lists so I could do just that and I still just felt crazy…

Have you ever noticed that sometimes you need to hear it from someone else? You don't always want to, but that's what it takes sometimes.


(start them working young)

In the end, I took some deep breaths and put on my big girl pants. You really do just have to deal with it. I can't do more than I can do. I work really hard and I'm proud of that. I needed to give myself some credit instead of applying so much pressure. I always expect a lot of people and most of all I expect the best from myself. I expect it in everything I do. But I can't spread myself too thin. I'm so glad I have my Lisa! She helps ground me and see reality. Friend/sisters are good for stuff like that.

But this little family right here. This family is mine and worth every single minute of hard work. Worth every sacrifice I need to make and we are so blessed.

(photo taken by the most awesome Carrie Tungate of Tungate Photography)

Those two little ones melt my heart. They are my joy and even when they are crazy, they are my calm.
This family right here is worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment