Thursday, October 23, 2014

Rental Part One - Bathroom

Sometimes you get a job that is super exciting. For me this was one of those jobs. Not because it was a major renovation or a high end client (which are really fun), but simply because it was a house in my own neighborhood. It is a similar style to my house and while there are some major differences, it was fun to see how my house could kind of look if I actually ever had time to work on it. 

I also love the challenge of taking a budget, making small but impact-full changes, and having them turn out so fabulously. Please forgive the cell phone pictures. I have been sick and extremely busy lately and this job was absolutely down to the wire! I finished at 1:30 in the morning the day it was due to be complete. I didn’t get into bed until after 2:00 that day and had to be up by 6:15. I prefer to take pictures with a nice DSLR in good natural daylight, but cell phone pictures at 1:30 in the morning is what you have for this one.


This called for quite a bit of TLC. The tiles needed to be painted, the carpet needed to come out, the cabinets were also pink, the valance needed to be deposited into the nearest dumpster, the wallpaper needed to come down, the walls needed skim-coating and paint, and new knobs were needed. 

 I had to use an epoxy based paint to paint the tiles. This is really all in the prep work. I cleaned these tiles about 7 different ways before starting to paint. I made The Duchess help out. She did work very hard, but then she crashed! It's hard when your mama has to work late on a Friday night!

 You would also think that pink would be easy to cover as it is fairly light. Well, so did I and I was wrong. It took about four coats all said and done.

Then I had a moment...if you follow me on Instagram you already know that I didn't realize this little bit of tile existed until well into the third coat on the rest of the tiles. I was pretty bummed.

Then the cabinets needed painting. I also used salvaged knobs and chrome paint to give the "new" hardware an update.

I wish I had a before on those knobs because they were bright brass with peach centers before I made them chrome. I've become besties with spray paint lately. I've changed a ton of hardware from ugly to nice.

This is one of those projects that snow-balled. I thought I would just paint the tiles and cabinets, take down the wallpaper and paint the flat walls and be done. But the wallpaper was NOT kind and there were some issues with the walls. Texture was needed and my timelines were getting crunched to bits. Another person came in a textured the walls and ended up painting them as well. I came in and cleaned up, added the hardware, and frosted the bottom half of the window.

Here is the After:

It’s such a huge difference! I LOVE paint!!!
The next stop is the living room! Stay tuned for that next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment