Friday, October 24, 2014

Rental Part Three - The Kitchen

When I first saw this kitchen I fell for it. Not because of how it looked as it was, but because of how I could see it in my head if a full renovation were to happen. Where it is located in this house it is just prime for an addition and full gut job! It could be a spacious kitchen with a lot of natural light. I'm not the only one that thought that the first time I saw it. As I mentioned when talking about the living room, my father came to help me with this job. When he saw the kitchen he said the same exact phrase, "This is prime for an addition." 
Great minds people, great minds!

But, this wasn't an addition and full gut job kind of project. This was pretty straight forward. Paint it to brighten up the dark space and make it look cleaner and fresher. Embrace the quirks of the dated design, because with paint they look cute and quaint. 

This is a tiny kitchen y'all, but they packed it full of cabinets in 1961! This was an easy job, but very tedious and time consuming.

Before:



The hardware is kind of a gaudy aged brass in the photo above.


It was really just a paint paint paint story. Paint on everything.
 

All that hardware was sprayed oil-rubbed bronze. Instead of a before picture, I now have a video of my daughter imitating the tenth Doctor on Doctor Who..."Finger. On. Lips!" in her best British accent of course! It's pretty hysterical really so I can't complain about not having a before picture. Bad day at work: I watch the Duchess be David Tennant and I giggle.


The upper cabinets are two shades lighter than the lower cabinets. I also painted the shutters and sewed new little sheers out of white chiffon for them. This was something that was fairly hideous before and I think it turned out pretty cute.




 Someone else came in and sprayed the appliances black to match the fridge and dishwasher and a new vent hood was installed.



 There was only one tiny little bit of actual wall in here over the door that leads to the laundry nook.  I painted it in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Pure White to brighten up the space even more. It worked well. The light fixture in here is extremely dim and I'm sure will be replaced very soon.



Never underestimate the power of paint. The space is so much brighter and feels so much bigger. It looks much more crisp and clean. I love how this space turned out.

Next it's back to some furniture makeovers and more exciting news coming up for Peacock Door Designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment