Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Dylan's Bed

This was a project that happened because I did other projects for Dylan's room and it just popped into my head. Luckily this project only cost me the price of some construction adhesive, some brad nails, and some finials...all in all it was about $30 and I had a gift card so really it cost ME nothing. I had the v-groove paneling left over from the kids bathroom renovation and thought, why not?
This is the best picture I could find of his bed before. The design was mine and my father built it for Dylan when he was 2. It's a nice bed, but I wanted something a little bit more.


Enter furniture finials. This just makes me smile, the idea that even something out of solid wood that is so masculine has "accessories". That's how I see all wood trim - it's jewelry for the wood.


I found these super cheap at Home Depot and purchased them with my gift card (thank you Brooke) and then it was time to get to work. Measuring and drilling and then adding the finials.


I had to take all of my paneling to my fathers shop to cut it down to fit. (There was enough left over to do another whole project, and it's already planned) Then I put the boards on one by one.




It was cold that day and I had to leave the door to the garage open for my air compressor cord. That meant I looked ridiculous...pajama pants and Uggs baby! I'm classy like that.


After everything was installed it was time to paint. I broke out the Annie Sloan Chalk paint in Old White and got right to it. 


I love the knots and imperfections. They make my heart happy.





I think it looks great! It's exactly what I had in mind and it also made this guy smile. He was even happy enough to let me take his picture. 


More to come as always. Hope you have a fantastic week.





1 comment: